Historic Properties registered with the
Massachusetts Historical Commission
Historic properties in Massachusetts enhance the quality of our lives; they help to establish our sense of place and to define the very character of our communities. To meet the challenge of preserving this important heritage, the Massachusetts Historical Commission (MHC) was established by the legislature in 1963 to identify, evaluate, and protect important historical and archaeological assets of the Commonwealth.
HISTORIC STRUCTURES OF MARSTONS MILLS
MMHS started inventorying the historic structures in the Village back in the 1980's. The inventory now includes over 170 structures and properties built through the 1950's.
An example of a completed revised inventory for one of these—the well-known William Marston house located on Route 149 on the pond near the corner of Route 28—can be seen HERE to show the kind of information that is required for inclusion by the Massachusetts Commission
Here is a sampling of the Village's Oldest Structures.
Oldest Historic Properties
The oldest house in the village dating from 1653 by its first settler Roger Goodspeed
Built in 1765, Ansel Adams, an ancestor of Marguerite Adams bought this home from Samuel Hinckley in 1790.
Built in 1750 by father & son. It stayed in the Crocker family over 100 years. Very well preserved
It is possible the homestead was built soon after 1761 near the pond that now bears Shubael's name.
The land & house have been in the family since Samual Hinckley received a grant 1639-1662.
Isaac Crocker, a carpenter, probably built the house by Round Pond c. 1775